Sunday, May 25, 2008

Where Your Donations May Go?


THIS is interesting. The "United Way of Greater Toledo" is debating the future of their building on Jackson Street.

Now, let's leave personal taste aside for a moment. This is a building that provokes strong reactions. You either love it or hate it. Either way, it's a remarkable design, and demolishing it would be a crime.

However, I find it amazing that a purported charity is even considering the expense involved. That's highly irresponsible.

7 comments:

uncle jim said...

the property may be worth tons empty ... a very prime location - such a move might allow them to come out ahead even with acquiring new digs

Jeffrey Smith said...

Considering the state of the real estate market around here I'm inclined to doubt it.

irene said...

Jeffrey, what have you been smoking?

As for being "old", it was built substantialy after I left town. What can I say?

United Way never has fared well under scrutiny.

Jeffrey Smith said...

Decent cigars, for a change.
That part about it being "old" almost made me choke on my coffee.

uncle jim said...

i say "Follow the money" whatever happens

somewhere somehow someone is going to fill a pocket with money

Qaro said...

I'd like to be a fly on the wall in that meeting, "Even if we fix the bathrooms, the building will still be ugly."

I think it's a cool building that will never sell. They should have realized their building was unattractive before the bubble burst.

The thought of something being demolished for being ugly and almost 40 has made me kind of insecure for some reason. : )

Qaro said...

So, they're definitely going to tear it down then?